Recipe: Yummy Almost Shepherds Pie
Almost Shepherds Pie. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Almost Homemade Shepherd's Pie; Almost Homemade Shepherd's Pie.
Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British. But since I'm Scottish, I thought I'd give it a unique twist to suit my ancestral tastes. The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. You can cook Almost Shepherds Pie using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Almost Shepherds Pie
- Prepare 1 can of Cream of mushroom soup.
- Prepare 1 can of Cream of chicken soup.
- It's 1 envelope of onion soup mix.
- Prepare 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 4 cup of mashed potatoes.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Course ground black pepper.
- It's 1 cup of milk.
- It's 2 cup of frozen mixed vegetables.
- You need 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Very different from the regular pub style Shepherd's Pie but still great!
Almost Shepherds Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown ground beef in skillet.
- Mix soups, onion mix, salt, pepper, and milk in casserole dish.
- Boil vegetables according to pkg directions then add to casserole dish.
- Mix well.
- Add cooked beef to casserole. Mix well..
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, bake 5 minutes until cheese is melted..
I didn't add thyme or rosemary but I did add Epicure's Roasted Garlic and Epicure's Beef and Pork seasoning. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb.