How to Make Tasty Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's Pie. Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- It's For of the filling:.
- You need 200 gms of chicken mince.
- It's 1 of onion finely chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of grated carrots.
- You need 2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- It's 1/2 tsp of rosemary (or any herb of your choice).
- You need 3 tbsp of tomato puree.
- It's 2 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- It's 1 of bay leaf.
- It's 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need As per taste of Salt to sate.
- Prepare For of the topping:.
- You need 2 of large potatoes.
- You need 1 of egg yolk (optional).
- Prepare 2 tsp of butter.
- You need to taste of Salt.
Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- To prepare the filling, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in the bay leaf and the finely chopped onions and saute..
- When the onions begin to get translucent, add in the chicken mince, ginger garlic paste, grated carrots, salt and pepper and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook until done..
- Add in the tomato puree, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and cook for a few minutes. Ensure that the filling is not too dry. You can add water or stock if required..
- For the topping, boil the potatoes in salted water. Mash them well. Add in the butter and egg yolk. Mix well. Add in more salt if required..
- To assemble the pie, in an oven proof dish, create an even layer of the filling. Top it with the mashed potatoes and smoothen it out. Create a design of your choice with a fork..
- Bake it at 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown. Serve hot..
Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. So, this is how you spell it: Shepherd's Pie. But, from doing a quick google search, it came to my attention that TONS of people think it's Shepards Pie. Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie would actually call for ground lamb.