Easiest Way to Cook Yummy Shepherd's Pie (my version)
Shepherd's Pie (my version). This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped Last month on Instagram, I happened to mention that I had never made a homemade shepherd's pie before…and my inbox instantly exploded. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
I added mushrooms and substituted peas for the corn because its what I had on hand. We loved it!"-Needles. recipe Kittencal's Cheesy Shepherd's Pie "I make this a few times a year. I'm delighted to have found a new favorite. You can have Shepherd's Pie (my version) using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie (my version)
- It's 6 of russet potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters.
- Prepare 1 of ground meat ( i used ground chicken breast), seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, fresh garlic and dill.
- You need 1 of small onion, diced.
- Prepare 1 of cup of corn, frozen or fresh (was what i had, but you can add any veggies you like).
- It's 1/3 of cup of crumbled cooked bacon.
- It's 2 of cups italian blend cheese, divided.
- Prepare 2 of tbsp. margarine.
- You need 1 of milk to mash the potatoes.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, mashed.
This is true comfort food at its best." My kids LOVE this version of shepherd's pie. In fact, my daughter requested it tonight for her birthday dinner and came home from a friends house just to eat it, Thanks for making everyone in my house happy! Shepherds pie is such a wonderful, hearty comfort food. I make it with lentils and mushrooms for my version and ground beef for my guy's.
Shepherd's Pie (my version) instructions
- Cook potatoes in a boiler with salted water. Let cook until tender. Drain. Keep the lid on so they stay hot, it will be easier to mash..
- Meanwhile start cooking the meat. Add the onions, bacon, garlic and corn when meat is almost done..
- Add milk, margarine and garlic cloves to the potatoes. Start mashing, add 1 cup of the cheese. The potatoes should be soft and creamy..
- In a pan (i used an 8x8) sprayed with canola oil put half of the mashed potatoes, then add the meat then the rest of potatoes. Top with the other cup of cheese. Put on oven at 400F, for 20 minutes or cheese is golden brown..
But it's a lot of work to make everything from scratch … love the idea of using frozen mashed potatoes if I'm running short on time! Why is my version of shepherd's pie worth writing about? A few reasons: The ground lamb, which while optional, is so much more tender and flavorful than ground beef. A few more spices than what's found in a traditional shepherd's pie—which has very few, and in my opinion, tastes like it. A mashed potato topping that actually has flavor.