Recipe: Perfect Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting
Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting. Sometimes you just want a plain-ass chocolate cake. And sometimes sometimes is actually all the time if you happen to be Taylor. And I realized, while I've got recipes for Red Wine Chocolate Cake and Whiskey Chocolate Cake and Lemon Cake with Fudge Frosting, I'd never actually posted a recipe for a damn good chocolate cake, your basic chocolate on chocolate, the kind Taylor requests each.
Finish the frosting off by pouring in all that yummy melted chocolate and you've got super silky fudge frosting! Prepare The Best Chocolate Cake batter as directed and pour into rimmed sheet pan. Use an offset spatula to make sure the batter is distributed evenly. You can cook Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting
- It's of For the Cake.
- Prepare 2 C (400 g) of sugar.
- You need 1 3/4 C (220 g) of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 C (120 g) of pure cocoa powder.
- You need 2 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It's 1 tsp of kosher salt.
- You need 2 of large eggs (at room temperature).
- It's 1 C of buttermilk.
- Prepare 1 C of boiling water.
- It's 3/4 C of corn oil / light olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of For the Fudge Frosting.
- It's 2 C (452 g) of unsalted butter - softened.
- Prepare 2 1/2 C (300 g) of powdered sugar - sifted.
- You need 1 1/4 C (150 g) of cocoa powder - sifted.
- It's 1/2 C of full fat sour cream room temperature.
- Prepare 1/2 C of hot water.
- It's 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need Pinch of fine sea salt.
- You need 10 ounce of dark chocolate (60-70%).
- You need of (Melted & cooled to lukewarm).
For me, it means my master recipes: Best-Ever Vanilla Cake, Best-Ever Carrot Cake, and the Best-Ever Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting. What I love about this chocolate cake recipe is that it does not need a mixer and is very fast to whip up all in one bowl. This chocolate cake is also known as Devil's Food Cake, Black Magic Cake, and Death. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 C. Grease & line two 8-inch round baking pans with parchment paper. Grease parchment..
- For the Cake - In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder & salt, whisking until thoroughly combined. Next, in a separate bowl Crack eggs, add buttermilk, oil & vanilla. Lightly mix with fork then pour this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk to mix then add in hot boiling water, keep whisking or Beating with an electric mixer on medium speed until all ingredients are incorporated. Divide evenly among prepared pans..
- Bake for 40-45mins (30-35mins for a 6-inch cake) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just few moist crumbs attached. Remove from oven to cool. Run a small knife around the edges of each pan, then gently invert onto wire racks. Cakes should come out cleanly..
- Peel off the parchment paper & allow cakes to cool completely. At this point, cakes can be frozen until ready to use, up to 1 month. Simply wrap each layer individually in a double layer of plastic wrap & store inside a large zip top bag..
- For the frosting - in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until very pale & creamy, abt 5mins. Add sifted powdered sugar & cocoa powder & mix to combine. Add sour cream, hot water, vanilla & salt & mix on low speed until the liquid is incorporated, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed. It may look slightly curdled at this point, but dont worry. Increase speed to medium high & beat until smooth for another 2-3mins..
- Add lukewarm chocolate & mix until smooth & glossy. At this point, you hv abt 30mins at cool room temperature (longer in summer) to work with the frosting before it begins to harden. Note: this frosting does not do well when made a head of time..
- To assemble - level cake layers if necessary (trim any domed top off with serrated knife). Place one layer, bottom side up, on a cake stand or serving platter (on a piece of parchment if you will need to move it). Spread abt 1 cup of frosting in an even layer, then place second layer on top, flat side up, pressing gently to adhere..
- Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of buttercream using offset spatula. This ‘crumb coat’ will seal in the cake crumbs & make the final layer of frosting easier. If your cakes were frozen, this should firm up pretty quickly, otherwise refrigerate for abt 10mins to set. Slather with remaining buttercream in a thick layer, reserving some for piping decorative details if desired..
In a saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. It is perfect for frosting my Best Ever Chocolate Cake or layering it in my Three Layer S'more Cake but also makes a lovely filling or topping for lots of desserts. Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and unsweetened baking cocoa into a large bowl. Decadent Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. We're talking chocolate cake today, so let's get right down to business.