How to Prepare Perfect Sour cream chocolate cake
Sour cream chocolate cake. Dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
It's the sour cream in the recipe that creates this cake's extra moist texture. And it's the HERSHEY'S Cocoa in the fudge frosting that gives this cake its extra kick. Help the kids make the icing and let them help you frost the cake for a fun-filled family activity. You can cook Sour cream chocolate cake using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sour cream chocolate cake
- You need 3 of squares unsweetened chocolate melted in the microwave or a bain Marie, cooled.
- It's 2 1/4 cups of sifted cake flour.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/2 cup of softened butter or margarine (I have never used margarine for this recipe but it says you can).
- It's 2 1/4 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- You need 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- It's 1 container (8 oz) of full fat sour cream (the short stack container).
- You need 1 cup of boiling water.
- Prepare of for cocoa frosting :.
- Prepare 1 pint of whipping cream (35% heavy cream).
- Prepare 2/3 cup of confectioners sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake is a simple, classic cake that can be frosted or dusted with powdered sugar. It's dense and chocolatey - a cross between a gooey brownie and a piece of cake! I am going to show you something. This sour cream chocolate cake is moist, fudgy, completely delicious and so easy to make.
Sour cream chocolate cake instructions
- Melt the chocolate using either method. A bain Marie is the chocolate squares are melted in a bowl fitted over a pan of simmering water. It's important the bowl you have the chocolate in does not come in contact with the water as you don't want to seize the chocolate. When I make this cake I roughly Chop the chocolate and put it in a microwave bowl. Zap for 10 - 15 seconds.. Remove the bowl and stir with a tiny Whisk or spoon. Continue this process until all melted. Remember the melt process continues a little bit with each stir episode. Make sure the chocolate is cooled down but still runny..
- Grease and flour two 9x1 1/2 round cake pans-tap out any excess flour.
- Sift the flour, baking soda & salt onto a piece of wax paper... You're gonna use the wax paper like your scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350f.
- Beat the butter, sugar & eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on high until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and chocolate.
- Stir in the dry ingredients alternating with sour cream (I do this in three parts) beat well with spoon (or mixer on low.. You just want to make sure it's well mixed and smooth).
- Stir in 1 cup boiling water to the mix... It will be runny but that's fine.. Split the batter between both pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertips. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn into wire racks to cool completely. Split each layer in half crosswise to make 4 layers.
- Fill and frost with whipped cocoa cream.
- To make the frosting put all frosting ingredients in a medium bowl and Whip until the frosting is stiff. I have doubled the frosting recipe for the cake before.. You'll just have some leftover.. Nothing wrong with leftover frosting :).
- I have also added at times a good jam (eg. Raspberry jam) between the layers before frosting and turns out well.
It's the perfect old-fashioned chocolate cake recipe that everyone will love and enjoy at every party! Serve it alone or with ice cream and you're sure to get rave reviews. If you're looking for an easy. The toothpick test was done twice. I wanted to find a sour cream chocolate cake recipe like my Grandma's.